It's a brave new world, and we at Broadway Books are marching forward bravely: we are excited to announce the launch of the new and improved website for Broadway Books! The address is the same (www.broadwaybooks.net), but the content is totally new, and you have significantly more options available to you:
- You can shop our inventory and our distributor's inventory 24/7 -- even in your jammies from the comfort of your own home.
- You can order books and pick them up at the store, or have them shipped to you (or to someone else) -- or even delivered to your home by a BB elf, if you live in 97212, 97213, or 97232 zip code area.
- You can purchase Google eBooks and download them to the device of your choice (except the Kindle; they don't allow that).
- You can see what books each staff member is currently recommending -- and drop them in your shopping cart with the click of a button!
- You can read about the Broadway Books bestsellers and the bestsellers at independent bookstores across the nation.
- You can read each month's IndieNext list, with recommendations from booksellers nationwide.
- You can find our events calendar to see what authors will be coming to the store.
- You can watch video clips of past author readings at the store.
- You can link to local literary sites such as Literary Arts, Reading Local: Portland, and Northwest Book Lovers.
- You can link to book-award sites such as the Pulitzer Prize, the Man Booker Award, and the Newbery/Caldecott Awards.
- You can link to our blog, our Facebook page, and our Twitter feed.
- You can read archived newsletters (The Broadway Review).
- You can read about the history of Broadway Books and the bios of each staff member.
Having said all the things you can do with our website from the comfort of your own home, we'd like to add this: We LOVE it when people come into our store. Nothing makes our smiles broader than seeing oodles of book-loving folks cracking open real, ink-on-paper books to find the ones that make their smiles broad. We have no intention of seeing this website replace or reduce those moments of bliss. But, for those times when you just can't make it in, or for those folks who live too far away to visit in person regularly, or those who from time to time like their reading material on small, electronic devices, we are happy to offer this option for you.
On the home page of the site you can click on the "Ordering Online" option on the "About Us" drop-down menu to learn the specifics about placing an order online. As we mentioned in our April State of the Union, we're big fans of cash or check, so if you're picking up your order at the store it's especially wonderful if you can pay that way. But we're flexible.
To learn more about buying Google eBooks from us, click on the eBooks menu item, go to the instructions page, and then click on "Buying Your First Google eBook." You can click on the individual devices -- Nook, iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Sony eReader, Kobo, computer, or just about anything -- for specific instructions on downloading to each device. All you need is a Google account and an account with us, both easy to set up from our site.
We have plans to add more to the site -- photos from the store, videos, other reading suggestions (mystery bestsellers, local authors, books of local interest, etc); it will always be a work in progress. Please send us your suggestions and thoughts about the website; we care about what you think.
The decision to move to this more robust (and more expensive) website came after much deliberation. And it came in great part because we had customers telling us that they want to buy eBooks but want to support us, and customers telling us they wanted to be able to order online but want to help us stay in business. We think this is a solution that can work for everyone.
As always, thank you from the bottom of our book-beating hearts for your love and support. We couldn't do it without you.